VIDEO TRIPS FROM KESWICK
Keswick > Whinlatter > Lorton > Crummock Water > Buttermere > Newlands > Keswick
Description: An interesting route by car or bike showing many of the landscapes the Lake District has to offer - from Whinlatter forest roads, through three Lakeland villages, the gentle country road along Lorton Valley and the dramatic views of Crummock Water then finally over the pass at Newlands. Superb.
Normal drive time: 1hr to 2hrs depending if you stop and/or traffic conditions
Video time: 14 minutes, video speeded up 4 times
- Begin in Keswick and head West towards Cockermouth on the A66
- Turn right to Braithwaite Village and head over Whinlatter Pass (B5292)
- Drop down into Lorton village (there is a shop!), turn left and follow the road to the t-junction
- Turn right on to B5289 and follow this country road looking out for signs to Buttermere
- Vere left towards Buttermere (same road number)
- Continue for a short while where the landscape opens out and you see Crummock Water
- Follow the winding road and drive along the shore of the lake (spectacular!)
- Past Crummock you arrive in the village of Buttermere (great ice-cream!)
- Head up the hill and turn left at the stunning church to head over Newlands Pass
- Continue up the pass (be careful, especially in Winter!) and stop at the top for the waterfall!
- Drop down in to Newlands Valley (amazing views) and continue to Braithwaite
- Turn right just over the bridge, right again and you're back to the A66!